Thursday, February 19, 2015

Marvelous Mudgee-Australia Day 2015

My Australia Day destination for 2015, guest of the Mid Western Regional Council was the beautiful town of Mudgee, surrounded by green paddocks and hills (yes green) and far blueish-green mountains.  The venue, centre of town, was Robertson Park where I read some of my picture books to babes and mothers and dads.  I loved being part of both the Australia Day Awards ceremony and the Citizenship ceremony always happy occasions. And cutting a very navy blue cake! At the end of my talk and a reading from my new Anzac novel Eventual Poppy Day which involved the Last Post being played, a man stepped out of the crowd  and unasked and unscripted  played the dying notes of the Last Post on his bugle. I have yet to find him and thank him! so unexpected and so moving a gesture.
A tour of the library next day demonstrated what can be done in a gracious old building, not to mention visiting a winery for a wonderful lunch. I will return! Especially to track down more of the life of the poet Henry Lawson who spent his formative years in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment